Saturday, October 5, 2013

Grandy Can't Deliver!

I had the pleasure of taking care of my three grandchildren in their home for over 24 hours.  In fact, I returned home just this afternoon.

I wish all grandmothers had children this easy to take care of.  No, they are not perfect.  However, their parents have done a wonderful job in teaching them manners, the need to obey the person in charge, etc.  NO meltdowns by any the kids, and so, NO meltdowns by their "grandy".

There is something about a nursing toddler who is separated from his mother for a day or more which pulls at your heart strings.  It also tickles your funny bone.

The children go to bed around 8 p.m.   Late in the afternoon, the baby began asking again about his mother.  He would go to the window and say "Ma Mum" in a pitiful little voice.  I explained each time he did this that she would be coming home "tomorrow".  He seemed to accept the answer . . . for about 10 minutes.  The concern and longing in his voice was tangible.  I was so sad for him, but knew that the reunion would be extra sweet because of the separation.  

Around 6:30 p.m., I was about to carry the baby down the stairs.  The t-shirt top I was wearing was pulled down enough to show some cleavage when I had picked him up and held him in my arms for the trip down the hard, wooden staircase.  He noticed.  Both little hands patted my breasts, with one hand on each.  "Nummies?"  he questioned, with a certain  (possibly, hopeful?) look in his eye.  I laughed out loud and had to tell him that my nummies did not have milk anymore.  He patted again, perhaps to make certain I understood that he knew nummies have milk.  After all, that has been his experience all of his short little life!   I explained again, and that was the extent of the tactile exploration.

But, once we were seated in the big recliner in the living room, preparing to read a book, his little hand pointed out the window, and he soulfully asked "MaMum?"  He wanted his mommy so much.  

I am home now.  His uncle and aunt are staying with him and with his siblings today.  His parents will be home is just a few more hours.  Both he and his "MaMum" will have a special reunion and his little world will be totally right once again.  And he might wonder if I told him the truth about "nummies".  After all, the ones he has access to DO have milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment